Children of all ages throughout Alachua County will again be fed breakfast and lunch this summer.
Thanks to a federally funded food service program that runs from Monday through July 23, children from infants to 18 years old can receive free breakfast and lunch at 93 locations with a multitude of options that include in-person, bus routes, curb side grab and go and the Alachua County School District’s food truck, which visits underserved neighborhoods including Hidden Oaks, Majestic Oaks and the Swag Family Resource Center.
All the children have to do to get a meal is to show up at a feeding site during meal times.
For a complete listing and more details on free meal sites, serving dates and times, please visit the school district’s food and nutrition website at www.yourchoicefresh.com or call 352-955-7539.
Families on vacation in Florida and throughout the U.S. this summer can save money by taking advantage of the program. To find a meal site in Florida, visit https://bit.ly/3pQhG2y. To find a meal site throughout the U.S., visit https://bit.ly/3cGUrCS.
Funded each summer by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the summer meal program is being offered through the Alachua County Public Schools Food and Nutrition Department, and includes formula for infants.
To make sure infant formula is available, Maria Eunice, director of food and nutrition services for the school district, said parents should let the site know a couple days in advance by calling 352-955-7539, ext. 1560.
Children and teens wanting meals don’t have to register at the site; they can just show up for breakfast and/or lunch at the closest meal site during feeding times and provide their name and birth date, said Caron Rowe, the district’s food service specialist.
Rowe said parents can find the nearest meal site and menu in various ways: Online at www.summerfoodflorida.org, calling 2-1-1, texting “FoodFl” to 877-877 and by using the Nutrislice mobile app.
Rowe strongly recommends visiting www.Yourchoicefresh.com to get the latest information on the meal sites.
* Boulware Springs Charter School, 1303 NE 23rd Ave.: Breakfast, 7 -7:30 a.m., lunch, 10:40 a.m. – 12:15 p.m., Monday-Friday (352-215-2175)
Duval Early Learning Academy, 2106 NE Eighth Ave.: Breakfast, 7:30- 9:30 a.m.; lunch 11:30 a.m. 12:30 Monday-Friday, closed July 5. (352-955-6703)
* Eastside High, 1201 SE 45th Terrace offers onsite and curbside distribution: Curbside only 10:30 – 12:30 p.m. Onsite, Breakfast, 8:45- 9:15 a.m.; lunch, noon -12:30 p.m. 12:30 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, July 6.
Eastside Recreation Center, 2841 E. University Ave. For information, visit www.yourchoicefresh.com.
*Empowered Leadership Camp,2153 SE Hawthorne Road: For more information, visit www.yourchoicefresh.com.
* Fearnside Family Services, 3600 NE 15th St.: For times and dates, www.yourchoicefresh.com 352-955-6875)
* Howard Bishop Middle, 1901 NE Ninth St: For more information, visit www.yourchoicefresh.com (352-955-6701)
* King Center, 1028 NE 14th St.: For times and dates, visit www.yourchoicefresh.com (352-334-5053)
* Lake Forest Elementary, 4401 SE Fourth Ave.: Breakfast, 7:30 – 8:00 a.m.; lunch, 11:00. – 11:30 a.m., Monday-Thursday, closed July 5-6. (352-955-6710)
* Lincoln Middle, 1001 SE 12th St.: Breakfast, 8:30 – 9:00 a.m., lunch, noon – 12:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, closed July 5-8.
* Metcalfe Elementary, 1250 NE 18th Ave.: For times and dates visit www.yourchoicefresh.com (352-955-6713)
* One Room School House, 4180 NE 15th St.: For times and dates visit www.yourchoicefresh.com (352-376-4014)
* Rawlings Elementary, 3500 NE 15th St.: Curbside 10:30 – 12:30 p.m., breakfast 7:45 – 8:15 a.m.) lunch, 11 – noon, Monday-Friday, closed July 5
* T.B. McPherson Center, 1717 SE 15th St.: breakfast, 7:30 – 8 a.m. lunch, 11:30 – 12:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. Closed July 5-6 For times and dates visit www.yourchoicefresh.com (352-334-2188)
* Williams Elementary, 1245 SE Seventh Ave.: Curbside 10:30 – 12:30 p.m., breakfast 7:45 – 8:15 a.m., lunch, 11:30 – noon. For more information, visit www.yourchoicefresh.com (352-955-6719)
* Star Center Children’s Theatre,11 NE 23rd Ave.: visit www.yourchoicefresh.com .(352-870-0064)
* Bartley Temple Church, 1936 NE Eighth Ave. visit www.yourchoicefresh.com. (352-376-6899)
* Library Partnership, 1130 NE 16th Ave.: visit www.yourchoicefresh.com (352-334-0165)
* Star Christian Academy, 908 SE Williston Road: Breakfast 8 – 8:30 a.m., lunch, 11-11:30 a.m. (352-336-5300)
*Pine Meadows Apartments, 2626 E. University Ave.: visit, www.yourchoicefresh.com